Our Top Travel Insurance Companies for 2021
- Medical and evacuation plans for international travel
- One annual plan with two levels of coverage
- Comprehensive plans available
- Plans available for international and domestic trips
- Single trip and annual plans
- Stand-alone rental-car damage product available
- Comprehensive international travel insurance
- Coverage available for adventure activities like mountain biking and trekking
- Coverage for phones, cameras, and laptops
- Three comprehensive travel plans
- Compensation for missed connections and lost baggage
- Add-ons like adventure sports coverage
How to Find the Cheapest Travel Insurance
As seen in
Why Compare Travel Insurance with Financer.com?
What Customers Say About Us
4.60 based on 272 reviews
It was super easy to deal with them. The comparison service was just amazing.
A quick, efficient, and certainly hassle-free service. Their comparison tools were best that helped me find the perfect loan provider service online with great ease. Thumbs up.
I got invaluable financial pieces of advice, free from any complicated terms & conditions. It was great!!
This is the most trustworthy site if you are looking for honest reviews, straightforward ratings and real-life opinions on financial products. I enjoyed a great experience, now it's your turn!
I had an amazing experience dealing with them! The comparison tools have worked great for me in finding the right lender.
One of the legit lenders suggesting service I have ever come across. Highly recommended!
What is Travel Insurance?
Travel insurance is an insurance policy that is intended to cover medical expenses, flight accidents, trip cancellation and other losses incurred during transit. It is not mandatory to purchase travelers insurance, however, we strongly recommend that you do.
Policies are sold for single trips or specific pre-determined time frames such as one year. Just like other types of insurances, travelers insurance policies cover specific events. Premiums are paid upfront when the policy is purchased or on renewal dates.
The covered risk may vary depending on the policy type, but typically include:
- Trip cancellations
- Medical treatment while on vacation
- Emergency Evacuations due to physical perils
- Theft and other crimes while traveling
- Accidental death
- Lost or delayed baggage
Benefits of Travel Insurance
How to Choose Cheap Travel Insurance
Once you understand what travel insurance is and the options available to you, the next step is to decide on the kind of travel coverage you need before searching for deals. It is also good to be sensible about the excess amount you have to pay towards any claim.
Check what is already covered by your home insurance policy. There is no need to seek travel coverage for personal possessions when your home policy might cover it.
Some travel insurance companies will exclude anyone above age 65 or anyone with pre-existing medical conditions. Check travel coverage policies for age limits and medical exclusions.
What Is Trip Insurance?
Trip insurance is the most expensive form of travel insurance because it is comprehensive. There are two categories that fall under trip insurance: single trip insurance and annual trip insurance.
- Single trip insurance covers discrete trips during the entire duration of a single vacation, from the moment you leave your house until you return. Premiums vary significantly and depend on your age, coverage limits, and the insurer.
- Annual trip insurance policies are the best insurance for frequent travelers. After a year, they can be renewed indefinitely. Annual trip insurance is considered cheap travel insurance because you pay the same premium regardless of how much you travel.
Covered Reasons for Trip Cancellation
You can get trip cancellation coverage if you have to cancel your trip due to illness, the death of a family member, or natural disasters.
Trip interruption insurance covers you for the unused portion of your trip that is non-refundable if your trip is interrupted due to one of the reasons listed in your policy.
If your trip gets delayed (e.g. your flight due to bad weather), trip delay coverage reimburses you for expenses like meals and lodging.
Types of Travel Insurance
Compare rates from travel insurance companies to get the best travel cover
- Travel medical insurance. This type of insurance provides you with health insurance coverage. Most plans cover recreational activities, but some may exclude adventure sports.
- Trip cancellation coverage. This reimburses you for non-refundable, prepaid expenses if the tour operator goes out of business or if you have to cancel your trip due to covered reasons.
- Baggage and personal belongings. This type of insurance cover reimburses you for personal belongings and baggage that are stolen, lost, or damaged during your trip.
- 24-hour assistance. Your insurer will have a hotline available to you 24 hours a day to help you with finding your luggage, locating a medical service, or booking a flight.
- Emergency medical assistance. This pays for medical expenses if you get injured or sick during your trip. Medical evacuation coverage will pay for transporting you to the closest hospital, while medical repatriation will pay to fly you to your home country.
- Accidental death. This cover pays out a lump sum to your beneficiary should you die due to an accident while on your trip. You can take out accidental death and dismemberment insurance to get a portion of the lump sum if you lose a limb, your eyesight, hearing, or speech.
- Rental car coverage. This covers you if your rental car is damaged due to a natural disaster, or vandals. It doesn't include liability insurance. Travel auto insurance policies can be complex; check with your insurer about the coverage you have.
Questions About Travel Insurance? We've got the answers.
What is the best travel insurance company?
Can I get travel insurance after I've made my booking?
What is general travel insurance?
What does travel insurance cover?
Travel protection plans can cover a range of features that can help you before, during, and after your trip. Some of the coverages include:
- Trip cancellation coverage
- Trip interruption coverage
- Travel delays
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- Medical coverage
- Baggage loss and delays
- Identity theft