Credit in West Virginia
Residents of Virginia may sometimes find themselves in need of cash. As you prepare to take out any kind of loan or line of credit in West Virginia, here is a guide on alternatives to getting West Virginia personal loans.
Various Options for Obtaining a Loan in West Virginia
- Apply for a credit card – There is a huge selection of credit cards worth considering if you are in need of credit in West Virginia. This is also a good option if you want reasonable payments and low-interest rates.
- Payday loans from other states – You can consider applying for online payday loans in West Virginia. Although payday lending is prohibited in this state, you can apply for an online loan from other states. You will need to provide documented proof of residence in another state.
- Tribal loans – Tribal lenders offer cash advances to borrowers who reside in states where payday lending is illegal. Tribal lenders are immune to the laws governing lending in the states where they operate.
Are Payday Loans Allowed to Operate in West Virginia?
West Virginia payday loans are illegal. Thus, West Virginia lenders cannot provide short-term loans to customers in this state. Consumers in the state may still find alternative means to West Virginia personal loans.
This prohibition of cash advances also applies to out-of-state lenders who wish to provide California payday loans.
Limitations on Interest Rates
It is normal for regulatory bodies to place a cap on interest rates. This is often to limit cases of exploitation by lenders who set exorbitant rates. The state of West Virginia is not an exception. Here are the rules:
- There is a 31% rate cap on a loan of $2,000 or less for West Virginia Loans
- There is a 6% minimum interest rate on a credit card
- There is an 8% maximum interest rate on a credit card
West Virginia Installment Loans You Can Apply For
There are many lenders offering installment loans even with less-than-perfect credit. Browse through the list of West Virginia lenders listed on this site to be matched with West Virginia installment loans. These types of loans require you to pay the borrowed money in installments over a predetermined timeframe.